Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Class @ UCR

On Thursday, October 25, I decided to attend a class for Educational Psychology at the University of Costa Rica. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew I was in trouble when I asked if the two students who had arrived before the teacher if they liked the class. They looked at each other, laughed awkwardly, and said it was alright. The teacher was nice, but I could not pay attention at all. Most of what they were discussing went over my head and I realized how much trouble I would have if I had tried to take classes all in Spanish. While I was able to follow parts of the discussion, I realized that there was no way I could participate of give intelligent answers during the class. I think that I would be able to get used to it, but for the most part I spent the entire class time asleep with my eyes open. I am sure going to class might be more fun if it were a different topic or if I had gone to more than one class.

During my time in the classroom, I was able to see remarkable similarities between classes in the US and in CR. I saw the same "types" of students that you would find in an Elon class. I recognized the girl with big earring in the middle of the room as having the same attitude girl from my high school had. The girl who would always sit with her eyes rolled, chewing gum, looking incredibly disinterested and staring blankly (almost angrily) at the teacher. I thought it was interesting how there are always similar patterns in students. Miles away from home, I easily could have been in any diverse college classroom.

I'm glad I went, despite how long (3 hours, but I only stayed for 2) the class was and how little information I was able to extract from going. While I doubt I will return to that particular class, I may attend another class if time allows it.

-Amanda

No comments: